The church opposite the cave
The church opposite the cave. Around the year 1300, the inhabitants of Sub Piatră, the little village on Valea Morilor, erected a small wooden church on the hill opposite the cave. It was meant to protect the locals from the dark forces lurking inside the cave which, according to them, used to cause numerous flash floods. The little church was burned down by the Tatars, blown up by the Imperial Austrian Army, and rebuilt each time. The current building dates from 1797, while in 1993 it was restored. In 1990 a nunnery, St. Paraschiva, was added in the vicinity of the church.